Monday, August 20, 2012

Firsts From the Red Sea

The drive down to the red sea went pretty well, but once we got there it went to hell. we were heading to the same spot that we camped at last time but it seemed the sand on the dirt road in had gotten deeper and i ended up being the first one stuck. the 2 cars in front of me made it to the spot but i did not. luckily some guys with 4x drive hooked me up and after a bit finally got me un-stuck. at that point we decided we would drive bout a 1/2 hour further down the beach. once i was out trent and zach walked back to their cars so that we could head out. well trent was the first to get stuck coming out and then right behind him zach got stuck. these guys that helped me out were now working overtime to get trent and zach un-stuck. seems like 3 cars took about an hour of our daylight away. things are always tougher when the same language isn't being spoken but we all managed. off we went to the other beach. this was much nicer. cleaner, the dirt roads in were very compact and nobody around. as soon as we got things set up, i rigged up with a chartreuse/white clouser and waded out to the reef. at this point i was just hoping to catch any sort of fish but of course hoping for some decent sized fish. i caught a couple of small fish and then headed to camp to get some food going. i had just bought a small cheap grill and didn't even bother putting the legs on it so it just sat in the sand. as we are cooking we are getting pretty toasted and when the food was done i had slid my grill out of the way and due to my inebriated state i wasn't thinking and stepped right where my grill had been cooking and burnt the shit out of the bottom of my foot. pain like i hadn't felt before. i grabbed some water and tried to cool down the sand there and once the water hit the sand it started singeing, that's how hot that was. after a bit the saudi coast guard showed up to get our info., how many people, nationality, man/woman, how long staying, etc. that was a real treat to be out of our minds and trying to communicate with saudi's that weren't speaking any english, we got it done though. once i woke up i grabbed my still rigged rod and managed to catch a few more fish. they all looked almost like the same species but maybe different sub-species.


Jake Gillette said...

Glad to see you getting some fishing in, and working on a tan!!! It's been a hot dry one this year in Utardia. Hope all is well in the desert!

mike doughty said...

thanks jake. i was wondering if you were still around. i've tried to get a hold of you but no luck